Saturday, August 26, 2006

Late Night WebComic Review: Dyson's Creek

Okay, well today i decided that i wanted to be a bit suicidal and spend most of it finding images from a huuuuuge database of old Mad Magazines which apparently has some crazy stuff with which to reappropriate. Although i was able to get some nifty things, I have completely damaged my brain and body in the process. You see, i haven't owned or been in a house that has had a computer in over a year and a half so i haven't been able to have this much free reign to a computer in ages and guess what? THINGS CHANGE ALL THE DAMN TIME!! You'd think that progress would just slow down once in a while, huh? Not that I'm complaining because I love free Wireless Internet more than sliced bread and now can't live or sleep without my laptop glow somewhere present. I hope that this is just a faze but from what i've seen of friends and family, it just gets worse.

So, because my mind just can't get enough of this even though my hands certainly have, I'm here to present a plug towards one of the greatest and most innovative comics on the web (this is certainly not solely in response to the artist listing my webcomics in his links page....but I am gracious nonetheless): Ned C. Hugar's Dyson's Creek.

Most important thing to do today: go here immediately: dysonscreek.comicgen.com
I'm freaking serious! Do it! My words aren't enough, so get a good feel for it and THEN come back and hear what i have to say. Don't worry this post will be here when you're finished wiping the tears of laughter from your face...

Have you gone yet?...

Are you sure you've read enough (i.e. all of it)?...

Now I'm going to evoke the honor system here and trust that you have read the comic in review and begin my short and insomniac analysis...

In the beginning:
(*Note: Blogger is being a Bastard soooo...no pictures...hmmm..well since you've already have read them [YOU HAVE HAVEN'T YOU?!?!] i guess i'm going to go t plan b and tell you a story)

I stumbled upon Ned's comic waaaaaay back in November of '04 and was immediately enamored by it. I seriously loved it. I was in a weird state in my life, of course i'm often in a weird state, continential or otherwise, and had this prediliction to rub my psychic juices into anything that resembled the carefree attitude i associated with my own persuasions towards certain individuals. i apologize for the vagueness but certain folks have already leaned on me about the content and how it refers to the ominous 'I'. Anyways, after much tracking down of an email attached to his name, I sent Ned a fan (cough)love(cough) letter as clumsy and convoluted as this paragraph, calling him 'Ed' throughout. Lonely Nerd boys should be on their leashes at all time and closely monitored to prevent lewd behavior such as this. His first thought was probably, 'Who the Fuck is Ed?' Of course if he's reading this, he's probably thinking, 'He still has these emails?!' I'm an electronic packrat.

Finally, I did something smart and signed up for a subscription to his comic. Using a nondefunct email address he sent the current subscribers an email explaining how there were going to be more comics and not to worry our pretty little heads...he didn't say pretty little heads but i like to thing that i have one. I checked the scene out and found that he only had eight subscribers! At first, I was pissed off that so few people would recognize how unbelievably awesome his comics are, but as the years have gained me a little more wisdom and patience and i'm listening to less death metal, I've come to be proud that i was one of the first eight. Later when he's all rich and famous and everyone is wearing his teeshirt and listening to his albums I can be all like: "Hey man! I was one of the first Eight! You're Just a Poser! I was there when he was making webcomics in coffeeshops! You can touch me for five dollars if you want!"
And then came the drunk email:
Such highlights include: "Ignore my mispellings and typos i'm a bit drunk and it's a bit late but i just got your awesome email and it's totally righteous." and "My neck hurts from headbanging to impress girls...last thing i do for them...hopefully i impressed a few men as well." and who could forget "You're like my hero and stuff." and "how old are you and junk?" and the memorable "my dog is visiting me now...i wish i had a cat..." or "cuz it's like you're an inspieration to the La Revolution or something like that. Not really cuz i don't have a La Revolution quite yet and yeah... ...drunkety drunk drunk."
The next morning i had a terrible hangover.

and in my inbox was a letter from Ned:
"....
This is the BEST email I've ever gotten."

That's the kind of guy Ned is. That's Why his comics are so amazing. He could've ignored me or just told me off like i deserved...but NO! He's a SWELL GUY! From this email exchange we ended up becoming like penpals for awhile, going back and forth with crazy stories and doodle. And then i got lazy and didn't reply and then we kind of just drifted on with our lives like what happens in all though subtly depressing movies where everyone kinda hates it but knows its the 'way its gotta be'. why do movies have to be so sad...lets hear a positive middle class life story for once okay?!

But once i got this laptop i checked out his improved site and i'll be damned if my website wasn't listed under 'Friends of Dyson's Creek'...sniff...it made me feel gushy...really...

and so the little platypus ended up getting the one wish he wished most of all: a webcomic friend. So as a friend of Dyson's Creek and of Ned C. Hugar, I say, thanks Ned...and keep going.

and for you jerks who didn't read the comics yet, you'll be filled with flaming peppers if you don't do so immediately. here's the link again: dysonscreek.comicsgen.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blοg frequentlу anԁ I tгuly apprecіаte yοur informatіon.
This great article has truly ρеаκed mу interest.
Ӏ'm going to take a note of your website and keep checking for new information about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

Here is my website ... low stakes promotions

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mу spouse and I stumbleԁ over here from a
dіfferеnt web page and thought I may
аѕ well cheсk things out. I likе what I see ѕo
i am just follоwіng уou. Lοok forward to looking oveг your wеb page yet again.


my webѕite ... Red Kings Poker Bonus ()

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My developeг іѕ tгying
to convince me to move tο .net from PHP. I hаve
аlωayѕ ԁisliked the idea because of the expenses.

But hе's tryiong none the less. I've beеn uѕing Movable-tуpe
on а variety of wеbsites foг аbout a
year аnd am nervous about switсhing to anothеr ρlatform.
І have heard еxcellent things about blogengine.
net. Is there a waу I can transfeг all my wordpress content into it?
Any kind of help would be really appreсiated!

Also visit mу websitе; RPΜPokеr Pгomotions []

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home