Friday, October 20, 2006

In Search of the Bearded Woman

She came to me in a daydream. I was sitting in class, in between listening to the teacher and imagining my Flatland Utopia, when the Bearded Woman made her appearance. There was no stopping her from becoming the center of attention as she danced and twirled and laughed. i was mesmerized. And as suddenly as she entered, she skipped away, trailing ribbons and vines behind her. Obviously, she was an allusion, but to what? And why now?
I became obsessed as i hunted for her on the sleek sliphole of Internetia. I found suprisingly few images and thoughts on her, a tagline of her performances in olde timey 'freakshows' where she was revered with awe-filled gasps. She appeared as Jennifer Miller, activist and performer. She was immortalized in drawings and photographs. Seaguy, Fred the Clown, Castle Waiting, hold clues. I collected and studied yet the meaning still eluded me. As if She will forever be slightly too far away for me. A nice couplet. She is the mystery without an answer, wonder i cannot embrace and have become a part of me? i don't usually let this melodrama escape me, yet she holds the door open.

So i climb into my spaceship, my space filled ship, and embark on the journey...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home